I'm Against Cookie-Cutter Mentality

I should compile a list of things that grate on me. The first two that come to mind are that I don't suffer fools gladly, and I'm against cookie-cutter mentality (or intolerance). [People who don't like this shouldn't pretend they are experts simply because they're popular online, nor act like my teacher when they aren't, nor claim everyone should step in line with them]. Neil Carter is an example of both in this particular post. On Facebook he said something others have recently been saying:
Most skeptics have become experts at dismantling religion. Would that they were half as good at creating something better to take its place.
I have so much to say on this topic but not enough time. I welcome a written debate on it. I had a brief exchange with him on FB because it didn't take long to dismantle what he said.

John W. Loftus: Neil, we can start by ostracizing thieves, racists, womanizers, misogynists, homophobes and plagiarists.

John W. Loftus: Neil, when it comes to being an expert it means one has a focus and is an expert in that focus. Are you suggesting experts should not be experts but instead be generalists? Or are you suggesting some experts who seek to build community are doing better work than other experts who dismantle religious faith? Or are you suggesting the work of dismantling religious faith is almost complete, such that those of us who do that thankless work should be discouraged, despite the fact we are outnumbered, out funded and bucking centuries of faith based social structures? If so, on any of these points, I think you need a reality check.

Neil Carter: Let me ask an alternative question: Do you even believe there is anything to be done after the dismantling is underway? What comes next? And do we feel that we as a subculture have any responsibility to ask ourselves what human needs were being met (albeit poorly) by religion, and what we have to meet those needs in its place?

Speaking of our subculture as a whole, we consistently and passionately celebrate deconstructing religion but I see too many content to stop there, as if the work is done once we've established that religions got it wrong.

John W. Loftus: In an atheistic culture there wouldn't be an atheist community, if that's the point of your question. As to humanizing and secularizing our culture goes, yes. However, I think that getting rid of the religious motivation for deeds and laws helps all by itself.

Q: Why do you expect everyone to do both tasks? Or do you? Because what you wrote says just that.

[Silence]

0 comments: